Sunday, July 4, 2010

Yosemite - Nature's Disneyland


Ten years ago I visited Yosemite National Park for the first time. Although I was with my family and not equipped to do any hiking (or anything other than the typical tourist) I got my first real sense of what our National Parks have to offer. I distinctly remember looking up from the base of El Capitan and wanting to start rock climbing so that, one day, I could climb the 3,000 foot face. I went home and convinced my good friend that we needed to start rock climbing so that we could conquer El Cap a few years later. My friend got so invested in the sport that he eventually opened his own on-line trad climbing store, but I have yet to conquer anything beyond a 100 foot crack which was only rated as a 5.9 - one day though...hopefully...


I was finally able to go back to Yosemite a couple of weeks ago, and was once again inspired to start rock climbing. As I was with my six-month pregnant wife, I failed to do any hiking or anything other than the typical tourist - again. I was, however, able to further solidify my plans to hike the PCT from Tuolumne Meadows to Kennedy Meadows within the next five years. As I will be busy with grad school for the next three, that will give me two years after I'm done with school to complete the week and a half trip. Just typing about it makes me giddy like a little school-girl!

During my first trip I also got my first taste of "real" photography while viewing the Ansel Adams gallery. Although photography was one of those things I dreamt about but never did, I still find a lot of enjoyment in taking photographs. I have discovered that living on a tight budget requires me to choose one or two sports to invest in, and photography didn't make the top of the list. The photos you see are taken with my Sony Cybershot, but one day I hope to own a "real" camera (although the Sony seems to still do a good job).

So, why did I refer to Yosemite as being Nature's Disneyland? 800 miles of trails from simple day-hikes to multi-day hikes, 95% of designated "wilderness", thousands of established rock climbing routes, lakes & rivers for fishing, and unlimited options for photography - the possibilities are endless. It's no wonder that Yosemite had 2.7 million visitors in 2009 and was listed as the third most visited National Park according to the LA Times, trailing behind the Great Smoky Mountains and the Grand Canyon.

Go see Yosemite!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Nice post, although your wife needs to suck it up and get on the trails, she isn't even in the 3rd trimester yet.
    I'm trying to figure out what hiking I'm going to do while in Washington. I'm going back this weekend for a day, then gunna have a week. I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Due in two months, pretty sure that would mean that she is well into her third trimester:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, this has nothing to do with your post (Im gonna be that person) but Jon and I are moving to Orem in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if you had any recommendations for places to live. I'll call, we'll chat :)

    ReplyDelete