Monday, July 12, 2010

"These People"

I'm sure some of you have already seen this video making its way around the net, but in case you haven't here it is... 





The first time I watched this was at work without the audio, and I didn't really get it. Watching it with sound for the first time had me in tears after the first ten seconds - not because "IT"S A DOUBLE RAAAAIIIINNNNNBOW" but because this dude is just ridiculous. I can understand loving the outdoors, but crying and speaking like some guy who is high as a kite??? Its because of THIS guy that my wife probably refuses to talk about sunsets and stars. She tells me that she thinks such things are beautiful, but doesn't want to talk like a hippie....Hmmm......


On YosemiteBlog the author quotes directly from this shameless guy also known as YosemiteBear. He says "You could feel the rays, like from the sun or from a heat lamp, only it was rainbow rays. It knocked me down. And that’s why I had that reaction! The camera only captures 40% of the color. You can’t imagine how intense it was...It looked like God’s eye looking at me. That’s why I had that reaction, why I said ‘What does this mean?’” Well, call me stupid, but I think it means that the sun is hitting the particles of moisture just right, but I'm no expert. Isn't "rainbow rays" like the ultimate oxymoron? 'I'm going to kill you with my rainbow-rays!'


After following where the quote originally came from, I was directed to THIS site and got much more than I bargained for. If you want more background on the man, than just check out the site. In case you were wondering what he looks like, I've included a pic for you (by the way, the article states that he wasn't high...right...)


I titled this post "these people" because although I'm sure this is a really good guy, this is exactly the kind of outdoorsy kind of person my wife must be afraid I will turn my kids into - "mommmmm...it's a doooouuubbble raaaaaiiiiinnnnbooooowwwwwww!!!!!" :) Personally, I think moderation is the way to go with everything - even with a love for the outdoors.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving me my first good laugh of the day, even though its already 12:30. This guy loves rainbows, right? I think that was the point of the film. Imagine his reaction to all the flags at the next gay pride parade. I can honestly say I've never imagined that someone could be so enthralled and enthusiastic about refracted light... Thank you for enlightening me, brother. Part of me wants to find this guy and show him a firecracker just to see his reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Glad you got a good laugh. I must give credit to Brandon, however, he was the one who sent it to me while I was at work. It's amazing how dramatic people can be about such simple, yet pretty, things

    ReplyDelete
  3. i saw this guy on good morning America, he is so weird. makes his reaction very expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g0yZDMBXiE

    ReplyDelete