Friday, June 25, 2010

Opinion vs Expertise


I LOVE Backpacker Magazine, I mean I LOVE it. This magazine sure gets my blood flowing, my imagination racing, and helps me justify why my wallet is always empty - not Backpackers fault, they just have too much good information. My wife makes fun of me for how many times I will read an issue before putting it up on the shelf: First time - flip through the thing to see what the current issue has to offer, Second time - read the smaller articles which are interesting, Third time - make sure ALL the articles have been read, and the Final time - flip through it again to make sure I didn't miss anything. Like I said, too much good information to just flip through it once to give a look at the pics and then throw it on the coffee table...I know, I'm a freak...

My ONLY complaint with the magazine are the times that I have felt deceived by an author throwing out their opinion to make it sound like fact. In one issue I read an author stating that high-cut boots are a "must" if you are going to carry a load heavier than 30 pounds. A few issues later a reader wrote in asking if he has to really wear high-cut boots when carrying a 50 pound bag as they tend to cut into his shins and ankles (which I have experienced first-hand). The writer who responded told the reader to wear whatever cut of boots he felt comfortable with, as long as he isn't putting his ankles at risk.

The on-line article I read today was about water filters. The reader who wrote in wanted to know how to tell when your filter needs to be cleaned. The author gave some half-effort of an unbiased answer which took a total of three sentences, and then went into a long paragraph about how the reader shouldn't even hassle with a filter when he could just as easily use tablets. She said that tablets don't leave a taste (not true, although some more expensive ones are better about this), are easier (maybe), and fool-proof (maybe for the fool who would mistake a puddle of pee for clear water I guess). Although I don't usually leave comments underneath on-line articles, I chose to this one time...you can read it if you follow the link at the top of this paragraph.

The bottom line: do your own research when it comes to which products you chose to buy. Whether it be a debate between low-cut, mid-cut, or high-cut boots, a conflict between using a filter vs tablets, or even which handle is best when it comes to trekking poles; use your head and try to stretch your brain a little instead of just taking someone for their word.
P.S. I still LOVE Backpacker Magazine:)

2 comments:

  1. Did you notice that you posted your rant 3 times on the backpacker sight, hope they don't cancel your subscription. lol. should have made a link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. That's what I get for refreshing the page "just to make sure" that it was actually posted. How embarrassing. Whoever reads it is going to think "man is this guy full of himself, we got it the first time!" I thought about posting a link to my blog, but was a little worried that they would see that I copied an image from their site (even though it's for the purpose of promoting their magazine) and force me to get rid of it

    ReplyDelete