Sunday, September 26, 2010

Gear Burger - Website Review


Thanks to Google Reader, I saw a review last week of Gear Burger given by The Adventure Blog. After checking it out for myself, I thought it was worth posting about in the blog.

Gear Burgar is an outdoors site of all sites - meaning they find out where all the deals/sales are going on, and list them all on their site. To put it simply enough, check out this website if you want to find the best deals on your outdoors gear and clothing without having to spend hours on the web. The website tracks down all the gear you would find at REI, but checks out all the other similar websites to find you the best deal out there. Here are all the sites they currently track:

Altrec.com Outdoors (New), AltrecOutlet.com, Backcountry.com, Bike.com, CampSaver.com, Chifly.com, DepartmentOfGoods.com, DogFunk.com, evogear.com, FishWest.net, FontanaSports.com, GearX.com, Giantnerd, Half-Moon Outfitters, HucknRoll.com, Konasports.com, Marine Products, MasseysOutfitters.com, Moosejaw, o2 Gear Shop, OutdoorBasics.com, Patagonia.com, RamseyOutdoor.com, RealCyclist.com, REI, RiverBum.com, Skis.com, Snowboards.net, TheRiversEdge.com, USOutdoorStore.com, WildFly.com with more on the way!
I assumed that I would be able to click the link to Gear Burgar and immediately see what deals are currently out there, but it's not that simple, unfortunately. Apparently this website wants something from you before they are willing to give you the goods, so you have to open an account first. You only need to give your e-mail address before having access to the information you are looking for, and it's not a problem to change your settings if you don't want to get any unwanted e-mails.

When first logging on to the website, I was kind of confused. I couldn't figure out where to find the deals I was looking for, and it seemed that the only options I could find were dealing with my settings and preferences. Finally I saw in the left corner "Gear Bin" and voila. 

After checking out my "deals" I felt a little disappointed. I saw some great deals like 80% off some Nikwax Base Wash, but after clicking the link I saw that their "deal" was $5 for a 5 oz. bottle, not 80% off for their 33 oz. bottle - meaning they saw that the site was selling a bottle for $5, and assumed that it was for the 33 oz. bottle. NO savings for this one...

There were several other items that were sold-out or discontinued, and others that were just flat-out priced wrong on the Gear Burger website. I did see some clothes that were accurately priced, AND in stock however.

I would give this website two stars for having a great idea, but it appears that they are still working out the kinks and trying to make the website work properly. If they can get the system working like it should, than I have no doubt this company could become a best friend for a lover of the outdoors.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Zach! We are indeed working the kinks out so it's great to hear feedback directly from users. Our true product is the daily email alert service - the Gear Bin is an offshoot from it. If you ever notice funky prices, savings percentages or anything else weird please send it directly to WTF@gearburger.com. We pull our data directly from merchant datafeeds so when something goes funky, some times we need to jigger a handle somewhere and sometimes they do. Either way, thanks for the review and let me know what we can do to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the response Rob. This is all very good info. I will be posting an update for your website with your comment. It helps to know that you use the daily e-mail as the main form of sending alerts.

    ReplyDelete