Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Few Amazing Videos

Yes, I'm taking the easy route by sharing a few videos instead of writing a real post. My finals are coming to an end, and I should, in theory, be able to get back to my regular "weekly" posting within the next couple of weeks.

I saw this first video a couple of weeks ago. It took place all the way back in 2008, so I'm obviously not a rock climber. Seeing this video, in addition to the other videos in this post, makes me want to lose the 20 lbs I put on after getting married so that I can take on this physically demanding sport (although my love for backpacking will always be #1).



This second video features Ueli Steck and the same climber from the first video. Ueli (again, only recently discovered this video) is AMAZING. I had no idea that speed climbers even existed! What this guy does impresses me more than I can express. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people world-wide train for marathons each year, thousands also train for long bike rides, triathlons, swim meets, and many other sports which require absolute dedication, but what Ueli does is, by far, the most dangerous sport by far. Running up a mountain without ropes??? Crazy...



This last video shows Ueli breaking his own speed climbing record on the north face of Eiger. Don't know what Eiger is? Check it out here. Why the north face? The north face of mountains in the northern hemisphere is usually known as being the most difficult to summit (which is also probably why "The North Face" clothing line is called what it is). Watch this last video and be amazed.



If those videos aren't enough to inspire you, I have no idea what would:)

1 comment:

  1. So i found this sweet blog by one of The North Face's photographers. Check it out: blog.jimmychin.com He's got some absolutely incredible stuff! I watched most of his videos in the airport during our layover.

    Also, Ueli's record was just broken. Word on the street here in Geneva is that he's going to stop doing speed ascents. I was talking with a guy last night that has met him a few times and he said he has a serious girl friend and is thinking a little harder about the risks he takes.

    Hope you guys are doing well and I really wish I had your ability to speak French. The language is killing me!

    ReplyDelete