Friday, January 14, 2011

Movie Review - 127 Hours

I am anxious to write my trip report for the great outing I had last weekend, but can't get this movie out of my mind. I didn't feel a need to see this movie, feeling that I could imagine how the events surrounding the incredible story took place, but am VERY glad that I did.


The movie starts out showing Aron Ralston (played by James Franco) quickly gathering together his equipment for a trip to the Canyonlands National Park. The cinematography was one of the more impressing components that made this film a hit (in my opinion) - which is apparent as the camera focuses on Aron's swiss army knife that happens to be casually sitting on the top shelf of his locker, yet is just out of his grasp as he sloppily gathers his things together. The camera gives the viewer a unique perspective throughout the movie, such as when Aron drops his cheap multi-tool, or when Aron's thirst drives his thoughts to retrace his steps all the way back to his truck to the Gateraid bottle that he left in the bed of his truck. It is safe to assume that the scenery of the Canyonlands speaks for itself, and was not a challenge for the cinematographer.


As most of those watching the film are already aware of Aron's story, I knew that it would be a challenge for the director to give a fresh take on the story - not to mention the challenge to actually surprise the audience when the pinnacle moment of the story actually takes place. I felt that the director did an excellent job in giving the audience a fresh view of this well-known story.


Although I have tried putting myself in Aron's situation, watching this movie gave me an increased amount of respect for the seriousness of his predicament. I have asked myself why he didn't cut his arm off much sooner than he did (instead of waiting until he was more than 5 days into the ordeal), and have also wondered why he would be dumb enough to not let anyone know where he was going, or when to expect him back. Both of these questions are addressed in the film, and left me feeling like less of a know-it-all. It actually awakened me to a realization that I may be more vulnerable to poor decision making and carelessness than I would care to admit - one of the several lessons learned from this movie.

I don't want to spoil any surprises for anyone, so I have restrained myself from going into greater details. However, I will take the liberty in dashing anyone's hopes that the emerald pool seen in the trailer actually exists. I was listening to an interview on NPR with a canyoneer who frequently visits the Canyonlands, and he said that the only pools to be found in the area are usually silty and tend to have dead animals in them.

On a seperate occation, NPR interviewed Aron Rolston. A caller asked him what it was that got him through the ordeal; whether it was God or something that kept him from giving up. Aron said something which hits home a lot more than it would have even a year ago for me, he said that he wasn't afraid of dying, but how his death would impact his family. It wasn't the thought of being gone, but the pain it would cause those he loved.

I would recommend this movie to just about anyone. James Franco is an amazing actor, and really gave a realistic interpretation of what occured to Aron. There are some gorry parts (of course), and several F-words; for these reasons the movie has the rating that was given. I didn't have a desire to read the book before seeing the movie, but now want to. If you haven't heard about this story than look it up here. I never cease to be amazed by what the human body is able to endure as long as the mind stays clear and active.

Bottom line: Be sure to always tell someone where you are going, and when you will either call to check in or when you will actually be back. Sorry to all of those who would have been quick to ping their SPOT beacons, Aron was in a slot canyon, small chance of getting a clear shot of a satellite in there...

Here is the trailer for those of you who haven't seen it:

No comments:

Post a Comment